Carnegie Hall Bed and Breakfast was originally the City Public Library, located in Ladysmith, WI. In 1907, the City of Ladysmith received an Andrew Carnegie grant of $10,000 to erect a library. Designed by Claude and Starck, an architectural firm out of Madison, Wisconsin, the Classical Revival structure is a typical example of libraries being erected at the time. It features a half-exposed foundation of rusticated stone, brick walls with corners accented by quoins, a pediment supported by two engaging Ionic columns and large windows on either side of the entrance. This building style was repeated in at least two hundred and fifty libraries throughout the country, most of which have been razed in the name of progress. In 1937, free county wide library services became available and the name of the library was changed to the City and County Library.
After nine decades of service to the families of Rusk County and surrounding areas, plans were implemented to build a new library with no further plans for the 90 year old structure. The Carnegie library was closed and stood empty, no longer a vital part of the community.
In 1999, Pat and Marty Reynolds made an offer to purchase it from the City. Upon its acquisition, the Reynolds stripped what was left of the interior and proceeded to renovate and restore. While keeping the 1907 exterior and the ambience of a turn of the century library, they updated the buildings electrical, plumbing and HVAC systems. With particular attention to period décor, the restoration of the library was completed in three years.
The Carnegie Hall Bed and Breakfast opened on July 1st, 2002. On September 2nd of 2002, the City of Ladysmith was devastated by a tornado, which also did extensive damage to Carnegie Hall. Again, the building was renovated and reopened for guests on May 1st, 2006. Carnegie Hall will transport you from today’s hectic paced lifestyle to a turn-of-the century Victorian library, filled with books, antiques and collectibles. It truly is a novel bed and breakfast experience.